Saturday, 9 January 2016

How To Resign From Your First Job

I've only ever had a temporary job before the one I've had now so I've never had to think about resignations. Until now.

I won't mention where I work and what I do but I will just say a few non-identifiable things about this job. When I applied I was told it was n hours per week but then when I started they gave me a contract instead for n+6 hours per week and then I eventually ended up doing around n+12 hours per week. Recently I've been doing n+3 hours per week so my hours don't stay the same which makes calculating my predicted wages a bit difficult and it's annoying because I also get cuts in my payslip which means I've been earning less than what I should be according to the hours I work

The job was also kind of misrepresented since I asked the manager the kind of things people in his department do and he didn't really give me any good indication of what the job would involve. In fact, looking back at my interview, my manager answered the questions I had for him pretty poorly. Also, I was told that I would be trained in my role and yet it never materialised since my manager preferred to sit on his mobile phone all day.

So I made the decision a week ago to walk into work today and hand him my resignation because I wasn't put down for a shift today because I'm a coward and so I could walk away straight after resigning instead of working with him for the next few hours. And I was shaking because I was so scared. I've had arguments disagreements with him before over the hours I was doing and the days since the rota would change week by week with little notice and it's tiring. Sometimes, I was put down for shifts I had mentioned I could not do before. So I decided it was time to leave.

I wrote a pretty standard resignation letter. I mentioned that I was resigning, my notice period, my final day of employment and that I was thankful for the job. Even if you didn't like the job say that you did because it's the professional thing to do and you don't want anyone to ever be able to turn around and question your professionalism. If any future employers call and ask about how you resigned, the last thing you want is for your potential employer to see a not so professional resignation letter. Any time you resign from a job, keep calm because freaking out isn't worth it. And if your fellow colleagues can't conduct themselves with dignity then that's fine as along as you keep your calm and walk out with your head high.

When my manager took the letter he just put it in his draw (he'll probably ignore my resignation until next week when he remembers and will start freaking out). Anyway, I mentioned that I want to work in healthcare so I want to focus on doing that. My current job does involve healthcare but it's a pretty retail based environment and I want to work in an area that is strictly clinical healthcare.

If your manager asks why you're resigning or where you're going then be careful what you say. Future employers will call asking for a reference. If you tell your potential employer you left because you went travelling and your manager says it's because you didn't get a pay raise or some other reason, then your potential employer is going to want to know why there is a discrepancy between what you said and what your ex-manager said.

I actually resigned in front of quite a few colleagues which was embarrassing but there was no other place for me to go and resign with dignity. But if you can, make sure you can resign away from other colleagues. They don't need to witness your escape from hell fall from grace.

Anyway, my notice period was 1 week so I'm going to serve my notice and just hope things don't get hostile next week. Someone quit about 7 weeks ago (with an additional 1 week notice) and wasn't replaced so we've been short-staffed. With my resignation, they're going to be even more short-staffed so I knew the reaction wouldn't be good. It's going to put a strain on my other colleagues and I feel really guilty because they're really nice people who are more resilient than myself but I needed to leave because I felt like the job was taking too much from me and my annual earnings were around £9000 per year. That's around $13,000 so by no means was it a decent wage. And the stress was leaving me with too little time to study and I've been worrying about my entrance exam (GAMSAT) because I haven't had enough time to study. In my honest opinion, education is more important than money.

I have quit without having another job lined up which is also terrifying. I'm starting volunteering at the local hospital soon and I'm studying for my entrance exams for Med School so my lack of employment isn't really a concern for me at the moment. I'm just hoping that once this exam is done, I can start looking for healthcare jobs I'm interested in. But I'm going to be a bit more picky with jobs. I want my next job to be one that I can stay in until I go to Med School. Leaving this job is kind of sad, even if I didn't enjoy it. You don't just leave a job. You leave the people. Although for some people, resignations are because you want to leave the people and not necessarily the job.

Additionally, quitting this job was one of my New Years Resolutions so at least I've managed to get that one done! What can I say? I'm an optimist.

Kamille. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, no wonder you wanted to resign. That job sounds like such a headache! Will keep my fingers crossed that your last week there won't turn into a nightmare, and that you'll one day find a healthcare job that's much more suited to your needs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is. I gave an extra week's notice and my manager wanted even more haha! Thanks! :D

      Delete
  2. It sometimes takes courage to quit a job, and you've showed a lot of courage. Hey, people quit jobs everyday. Most people nowadays have many different jobs before they retire. What you've done is quite normal and sane. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't feel courageous. I was so scared resigning. Thank you! I guess I'll be getting more practice in the future.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a message! I'd love to hear from you :D