Thursday, 3 April 2014

Book Love: The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna



The cover on the left is for the US edition and the cover on the right is for the UK edition. I personally like the US edition more.
I bought The Lost Girl back in January while browsing through my local Waterstones. I had seen this book on Goodreads and remembered wanting to read it last year but I never got around to it so I bought it and started to read it. But then I couldn't put it down. I read it within the day and spent the next few days shell shocked.

During 2012 and 2013, I came across a lot of unoriginal YA books and didn't really like them. They weren't bad but I felt like nothing stood out. The Lost Girl is a loose retelling of Frankenstein about a girl called Eva. Eva is an echo, a creation of the Weavers who is alive only to replace her human in case her human dies. Her purpose is to be exactly like her human.

I felt so much emotion while reading the book. I loved how Eva was such a real character in the way she acted and felt the world around her. She went through so much during the book, which I won't reveal. I rooted for her through the whole book and really hoped she could just get what she wanted. At no point during the book did I feel like she was an annoying character. And at no point did I want to pull her out of the pages and rip her throat out. I did want to pull her out and hug her though.

It was interesting to see how she was treated by the people around her. Some people were nice and some were, well, not so nice. There was a splendid range of characters and no insta-love (rejoice people!). The only thing I felt like I didn't get was a resolution for Eva. If you read the book, you'll see. I seriously hope there's a sequel because I feel like some things should have happened and they didn't. Plus, I'd like Eva to go on some Boudica-style campaign against the Weavers and Hunters (who hunt the echos).

I also would have loved if the book was a little longer. I did love Ms Mandanna's writing style. It was neat and just complete. I didn't come across any awkward passages. I think illustrations would have been nice but I'm one of those people who think illustrations should be in every kind of book.

I'm giving this book a rating of 5/5. And I think you and everyone on this planet should read it. It will certainly make you think about how people around the world are treated because they're seen as something different. And if you're emotional, it'll probably make you cry. I think I spent around five minutes slobbering like a fish.

Kamille :D

7 comments:

  1. I'm not much for ya, but this sounds interesting. Maybe I'll give it a try. I need a good cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the US cover is absolutely stunning. No wonder you prefer it! And I can't believe I've never heard of The Lost Girl till now. Your review makes it sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review - this sounds really interesting (I found recently I feel same with YAPR - it's very saturated at the moment) and I love the US cover too! Have you read "never let me go"? I've never seen the film, but I read the book years ago and it was heartwrenching but beautifully written too.

    Thanks again for stopping by the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again!

      It's a shame it's so saturated. I love the genre.

      I haven't no. But I'll check it out. The premise looks interesting although I've always been a bit iffy with dytopians.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Nice review! I saw this book in our library last year and read it. I liked the book because it was a really interesting idea! Have you ever seen The Island? Its reminded me of that movie a little. I personally think that the US cover is better as well, but I think the idea is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have watched it but never made that comparison.

      Yeah I completely agree. The UK cover makes it look kind of contemporary while the US cover gives it a kind of magical feel.

      Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a message! I'd love to hear from you :D