Thursday, 5 September 2013

Book Love: The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

I'm back! Sort of. It feels weird to have not blogged in so long. It used to feel natural and now it feels well, alien.

So I just finished reading the Secret Keeper by Kate Morton just this week and I have to say, this is my favourite book for adults, ever. Here's the UK cover which is really beautiful!


I do judge books by covers. I know I probably shouldn't be saying that but I do. It's the only way for me to measure my interest in a book while I'm looking at a whole shelf of them without picking them up individually and reading the blurb.

The story is divided over different time periods: a little in the 1930s, the 1940s, a bit in the 1950's, the 1960s and the modern day. I can't say I particularly enjoyed the different time periods but it was a mystery so somewhat of a requirement otherwise the clues would have all been revealed at the wrong times!

I liked the characters, especially Vivien, Jimmy and Laurel. I didn't like Dorothy as much as I did in the beginning of the novel but if you read the book you will know why. Her character is one that really changes and not in a good way.

The plotline is (no specific spoilers here) about Laurel who witnesses something shocking in the 1960s which haunts her to the modern day when she finally decides to investigate into a family member's past in World War 2 London where Dorothy, Vivien and Jimmy meet.

I'm not going to mention any more of the plot or I'll be giving away juicy plot turns that were extremely well thought out. I don't think I've ever read a book that have kept me guessing as much as this book.

Kate Morton's writing is beautiful and descriptive. You actually feel like you are there but it can be very tempting to skip the detail and get to the action. I had to force myself to keep going back.

And the ending is just divine. I never would have guessed it.

I've never truly loved a book as much as this. Adult books lose their sense of magic, love and dreams. The Secret Keeper is a 'grown-up' book which has the atmosphere of a children's book. I think that's why I loved it so much.

I think I'm getting fangirl-y over this book.

Kamille


4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a gorgeous cover! Don't think I've ever heard of this book or author before, but I'm definitely intrigued now, especially with the part about it having the atmosphere of a children's book. There's definitely not enough of that in the adult genre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's more popular in Europe and Britain (Australia too) than in the States. She writes about 20th century England so it's more popular here.

      I know. It's sad how it doesn't often translate into adult books.

      Delete
  2. Your book review skills are considerable. You could hone those skills and be one of the better book reviewers. You made me want to read it. That's saying a lot, because I'm not easily swayed by book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to review books more and get some practice but it takes so long.

      I'm glad you want to read it!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a message! I'd love to hear from you :D