Thursday, 2 May 2013

On Voting For The First Time

Source 

I voted for the first time today in the local council elections in the UK that is going on today. I didn't actually know about this since I've spent the last couple of weeks with my head under textbooks and dictionaries so when my Mum told me, I suddenly got excited.

Now, I've actually been persuading my Mum politically for a good few years now. I'm proud of the fact that I can actually persuade my parents politically. It's great fun!

But today, I was able to go and make my voice heard. Now, my vote probably won't make a difference because the area I live in is very Conservative and I don't vote for them. But recently, British Politics has because the shitty skidmark of the UK. Even lawyers are liked more than our politicians!

So I went to the polling station and gave my vote while jumping around like a hyena on crack. The people there must have thought I was crazy.

And then we left. And it feels pointless. Absolutely pointless. I spent many years wishing I could vote and now that I do, nothing. Absolutely nothing. I feel disappointed. My vote probably made no difference. But do I regret it? No. At least I made good use of my vote!

So that,s my story. I guess. I'd be interested to hear about your opinions on voting and what your first time voting was like. Did you feel disappointed in the same way? Or did it fill you with hope?

Kamille.

8 comments:

  1. Voting is an important privilege won through many battles and wars. Even though our vote is usually just a drop in the ocean of votes, it has value. It adds to the whole. Keep voting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will. Or at least I hope. My vote didn't make a difference but I guess that isn't a reason to not vote.

      Delete
  2. Oh, exciting! I was able to vote for the first time back in 2008 and even managed to convince my mom to finally start voting, too! Like you, I live somewhere that's more conservative politically, so it does feel a bit pointless sometimes, but then I remind myself if everyone thought that and didn't vote, there'd be no chance for change. At least this way, by voting, there is a chance, no matter how slim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like that too. It's hard when you are the pin in the haystack.

      Your Mum didn't vote before? It's great that you convinced her! My parents have been voting since they came here. I distinctively remember going to the polling stations as a kid. Fun times lol!

      Delete
    2. Nope, she never voted before. I'm glad she finally does now, though! I've tried to convince my sister to vote, too, but she's very stubbornly against it, which makes no sense to me, but oh well. *shrugs*

      Delete
  3. Hey, thanks for leaving some feedback on my blog - means a lot.

    I know where you're coming from with this post. Another year's gone by and once again I've refused to vote. All these politicians are as bad as each other :/ I don't know them, I'm not interested in them and I don't see why any of them deserve my support :/ one day we'll get some good, honest politicians hopefully

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey no probelms! Thanks for leaving some on mine first!

      I don't think our politicians deserve our votes either. I doubt there is such a thing as a good, honest politician. I wanted to be one when younger but lost my faith in the system I guess haha!

      Let us hope we do get some decent politicians though!

      Delete
  4. I remember when I voted the first time. I was so excited, and I still get excited. Even if the candidate I voted for loses, I'm so thankful that I live in a country where I have a voice. In fact, I still tear up sometimes when I think about the oppression my family had to live under in the past.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a message! I'd love to hear from you :D