Saturday, 4 May 2013

A Confucius Quote


“Life Is Really Simple, But We Insist On Making It Complicated.” – Confucius 

I came across this quote a couple of weeks ago, wrote it down on a post-it note and placed the note inside my diary so every day when I open my diary, this quote reminds me that I don't have to do everything the hard way. 

In life we often forget about simplicity. 

We forget about how it feels to have the wind blowing on our face and shield ourselves from the blustering instead. 

We forget the beauty of the sunrise and spend that time instead on commuting to what is nowhere in the grand scheme of things. 

We forget about the joys of walking through nature and watch reality television instead to wind down after a long day lost within a collection of long days that will end the same way. 

Our whole lives will be devoted to working in jobs we don't like, to buy stuff we don't need. And we're going to complain about it a lot. I have to commute during rush hour way too many times and the number of tired people I see collapse onto train seats with a briefcase at bursting point and eyes that have been stung by lack of sleep makes me feel really depressed. 

Our futures are full of jobs, taxes, utility bills, financial pressures and everything that makes you want to bang your head into a wall repeatedly until you pass out. 

That's what we see when we look at the future. 

But when I see that quote, it reminds me to the of the future where I go on picnics in summer with my family and where I sit on a beach with a iced slushie drink and watch the sunset. I'd rather think of this future than the other. 

And yes, I am a very simple person. According to nearly everyone around me. 

Kamille 

5 comments:

  1. Simplicity is wonderful. :)

    And doing things for their own sakes is vital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish life really were simple, but I find it quite difficult. Isn't that the first sentence of M Scott Peck's book "The Road Less Traveled"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's difficult too. It's a shame though.

      I haven't read that book but I'll try and pick it up if I find a copy.

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely quote! I agree, concentrating on simplicity is best. It's too easy to get stressed out otherwise!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a message! I'd love to hear from you :D