Thursday, 9 August 2012

Why I Hate Job Hunting



The summer holidays so far have been absolutely awful. I can so imagine better ways to spend my time than looking through numerous ads and websites and finding nothing. This process is humiliating and sucking the life out of me!

Here are the reasons I hate looking for jobs that don't exist.

The government keeps telling me the jobs are out there and that I have to keep looking. Why does this piss me off so much? Because I've been seriously looking for a job for nearly a year. I've gotten 1 interview and too many to count 'no replies'. There may be jobs out there but I can't work a job where I need to be available 12 hours a day on weekdays when I'm in education or jobs where I need a qualification which I don't have.

I'm not qualified enough. I have no experience because I've been too busy studying over the past few years. I need a degree or a vocational qualification. And I don't have one because I've never studied for one. And after I get my degree, I'll probably face another hurdle:

I'm over-qualified. At this moment in time, I only have A-Levels which isn't too bad. But then I get rejected for jobs probably because the employer can find someone else to do the job. Someone who isn't going to university, has no ambition and is too stupid to answer back or question the stupid employer who believes he or she is god. No. Morgan Freeman is god. Not you, you fat, sweaty arse in a cheap suit.

The experience situation. So you need a job to get experience but need experience to get a job. Now, I've done work experience and a temporary position but unfortunately, I need 20 years of experience in retail to stack shelves. It must be so damn difficult to pick things up and place them on a shelf because I've been told I am not suitable for the job because I don't have any experience in it. Gee, just thinking about stacking a shelf is giving me a headache.

The online application process. Handing CVs into the store isn't that helpful as most stores take online applications and it's the most annoying thing in this whole hunt. It's disorganised. I have to answer the same question like five times because it's worded slightly differently. Then I have to upload a kick ass CV but then have to answer 100 questions based from the damn CV. It takes too long. It's complicated. And when your laptop is broken, the whole thing because so painful your eyes bleed. But to get a new laptop, I need money and to get money, I NEED A JOB!

Stupid application questions.
Are you hard-working and motivated?
What do you want me to reply with? No, I'm a fat slob?
And then there are questions that ask you what your weaknesses are. Gee, what about bed-wetting? What about fussy-eating? They expect you to be honest but when you are honest, they reject you.

Being a student. I got rejected from a certain large toy store in the UK for being a student. And I was clearly told "We aren't hiring students." God that felt like such a big kick in the face. I'm studying because the job market is so poor that I'd be better off learning something in the mean time. I want to better myself. I enjoy learning. And I feel punished for wanting to study. Why? Should we all just quit school and become mindless drones? The worst bit is that I need money to support myself while studying. I don't need a lot but would like a part time job. I've figured out that even with my student loans and financial aid, I'll still need another few hundred pounds for accommodation and this does not take travel expenses, education expenses, medicines (I have an illness so I need the meds), clothing (I can't exactly walk around naked, hygiene products and food.

Vague information on applications and websites.
Example: We require a motivated and passionate sales assistant to deliver a first class experience to customers. You will be ensuring that the shop is presentable and be upholding the values of the company.
What they mean: We require a dumbass who does not question things to sit at a till all day and scan items and deal with dipshits who insist their out of date voucher is still valid. You will also have to clean shit off the floor of the changing rooms and act like this is the best job in the world.
*sigh*
It would be a lot easier if they were straightforward about everything. Working in a store is not an exciting career. It isn't even a career. A career demands skill and knowledge in that area. Scanning items into a machine or wiping dirty surfaces demands no knowledge and very little skill apart from maybe some coordination.
I wouldn't mind a job that's mindless and boring as long as I get paid but please don't write down lies to make it look like your NASA because Crap-supermarket-with-crap-stuff you are nothing like NASA.

The interview process. I've only been called for one interview so I can't say much on this but it was awful. It turns out that I didn't have everything I needed and so had to re-schedule it. I came back a week later and then got rejected. Also, the interviewer didn't like me. She told me I couldn't wear any jewelry, makeup or have my hair down and yet when I walked out of the interview, I saw one worker with more facial piercings than I could imagine and the interviewer went rambling on about presentation being so important and yet she was obese, untidy hair, badly applied makeup, shoes that dead grandparents wear, had significant sun damage to her skin and poor tone to her skin colour. Honestly, it just felt slightly hypocritical of her to tell me I didn't look presentable when I was wearing a black dress, black tights and black shoes while she herself looked like she did. And it felt  insulting.

Questions regarding salary expectations. Honestly, I'll be happy with £5 per hour but when I say this, they act shocked and when I mention anything higher, they still act shocked. It's a stupid question because they'll never pay me what I demand and will give me what the wage for the position is so it seems like a pointless question.

Waiting for a response. They take way too long. I have had at least 12 no replies that I can remember off the top of my head and that is mostly in the last few months. I have handed an application into the same store twice, one no reply and the other time, the shop assistant shoved it into a draw and must have forgotten about it. It would be nice if they told you early on that you haven't gotten the job so you don't spend weeks in anguish. Half the time, I can be 90% sure I'll get rejected anyway. I just hand the application in or submit it because I've got no other options.

Comments from currently employed people. My cousins all go on about how they used to walk into shops with their CVs and get jobs the next day. They're exaggerating and they all got job before the recession. I assume it must have been a hell of a lot easier back then.The worst part is when my parents get involved and agree with them. They all assume it's my fault I didn't get the job as if I had any role in who did and didn't get a position. Meh. And then there are the people who boast that they have 3 jobs. Just. Go. Away. Idiot.



Even after going through all this for months and months, I still have no job. And no money. Although that would be solved if my parents paid back what they owe me but I don't think that'll happen and I don't really have the guts to ask (they owe me a grand). I'll just have to see if I can get a job in the city where I'm going to uni.

Uni is going to be no fun without money :(

Here's to a crap life!

Kamille.


9 comments:

  1. I so know how you feel. Been job hunting for a full time job for so long I'm starting to think I'm gonna be 30 and still living at home with my parents working part time. Why do they have to make the whole thing so hard? It's the experience thing that seems to be holding me back. So annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's easier to find a job when you can work many hours but it doesn't help when that full time job doesn't pay enough for you to be financially independent from parents. Even working 40+ hours on min wage is useless!

      Experience is like the worst word I've heard. I hate it.

      I hope it gets better for you soon!

      Delete
  2. There's no doubt about it, it's difficult finding work almost everywhere. It's especially hard for those with no "experience" even though the employer's going to train you anyway. You just have to keep going and keep smiling until the much needed break comes along. Your interest in writing could serve you well. Try doing some free free-lance writing to build up a portfolio. You could volunteer to write articles for some charity or something. Think of creative ways to use your talents and get experience. Good luck, Kamille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of doing some writing a while ago but most people want someone with at least a 2:1 in an English degree and I'm not even studying English. After university, I may think about a career in legal journalism though and so I'm thinking of writing some pieces during my degree on another blog in the hope it may help.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Now, I've done work experience and a temporary position but unfortunately, I need 20 years of experience in retail to stack shelves.

    I was nodding a lot while reading this post, but this is the phrase I could relate to the most. Why do we need so much darn experience to work retail, anyway?! It's frustrating!

    What makes it worse is that genuinely bad workers will get hired over those of us who will work hard, simply because the bad ones have experience. (Seriously. My sis had an ex boyfriend who was extremely lazy and even stole things from the stores he worked at, yet he still was able to get hired time and time again.)

    I actually got turned down for an interview to be a dishwasher a few months back, because of this lack of experience thing. Not turned down during an interview--for one. It's like, seriously, I'm too under-qualified for you guys to even meet with me? Your website says the only experience I need for this job is the ability to speak English! Ugh.

    So yeah, I feel your pain. The job market is just one huge frustrating mess, IMO. The only thing worse than not finding a job is being judged by the rest of the world for it. (Like you, I've had to deal with that, too.) Hopefully you'll be able to find a job soon! If not, we can angst together, since I'll likely be resuming my own job-hunt within a month or two. (Fun. Not.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's because along with people with no experience, employers also have applicants with 3 years experience and a bachelors degree. Thanks to the recession and all!

      Uh! I know! I applied to a job in a clothes shop, got rejected, went there later and was met by a really rude assistant.

      Maybe the employer thought your sister's ex was useless enough to need this job and not have many expectations in terms of career progression and salary expectations. I've noticed they like to hire complete morons over normal people too!

      ARGH! That's annoying! You should have mentioned you do have experience. I think everyone does when it comes to washing dishes.

      I found a job that I was qualified for: teaching English. The only problem was the travel expenses. I don't exactly have £800 for plane ticked to Beijing and back lol!

      OMG! I so agree with the judging bit! It's brutal.

      Thanks! I hope you can find a job too! It really sucks!

      Lol! And then we can complain together yay!

      Delete
  4. Getting a job is one of the hardest things to do right now. My husband worked for the library system here for a long time, and wanted to become a CSS, when they suddenly added a requirement for "a year full-time cash handling"--all a CSS needs to know money for is so people can pay their library fines, which are usually under $10. You manage money your entire life, and yet somehow he was not qualified.

    One of the things that bothers me the most is that "you need a job to get experience, but you need experience to get a job." To stock shelves, you need experience? Puh-lease.

    I'm sorry it's been so hard for you and I wish you the best of luck. Finding work is rough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ridiculous! I hope your husband has found employment since.

      Thanks! *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  5. I do feel your frustration, Kamille. But do not lose hope. I know that somewhere out there, a job is waiting for you. If you are having some difficulty finding a job, you can start looking for an internship and build your work connection. Also, finishing one can be a great addition to your CV, and it can up your chances at the work pool!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a message! I'd love to hear from you :D