Sunday, 29 July 2012

Book Love: Slated by Teri Terry



Slated by Teri Terry is a dystopian (the first in a trilogy of course *rolls eyes*). It tells the story of Kyla, a young girl who had her memories wiped because the government said she did something wrong. Basically, she was slated, a process where criminal children under the age of 16 have their minds wiped. The theory is that if they lose all their memories, they can start life again without the memories that made them criminals. This opens up a nature vs nurture debate. Are criminals born? Or do our experiences make us criminals?

Kyla is assigned a new family and must adjust to her new life or she will be 'terminated' but she feels like she isn't normal and soon begins to realise that things aren't perfect and that things are going wrong.

I know I've said before in this blog that I absolutely hate dystopian but this book was amazing! There wasn't much action though and it did slow down a bit in the middle but the pace was enough to keep me turning the pages so it wasn't really a problem. The ideas behind the novel are rather original which was a lovely surprise considering YA dystopian is turning into a huge frenzy of remakes and rip-offs. But this is the first in a series so I'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

The book is set in 2059 (I think) in Britain (YAY!) and is told in the first person POV. The chapters are easy to get through and the writing isn't small which I really don't like. There are 448 page (UK copy).

The characters are interesting and you can never know which person to trust and if people are really who they say they are. This book is proof that looks can be deceiving! I was so shocked through the book to find that the initially bad characters were alright and the initially nice ones were nasty.

While reading the book, I had no idea who was going to be next. In fact, it felt like everyone was in danger and it's nice when you're reading a dystopian to actually be aware of the dangers of such a world. Too many dystopians play it safe.

The writing was fairly simple and easy to understand and there wasn't really much purple prose (thank the heavens).

We also got to see how this dystopian world came about and it showed a lot of similarities to Britain today, especially with the London Riot 2011 and the fact that Britain is pretty much a Big Brother State with CCTV everywhere.

Another plus is that the romance wasn't a focal point, it was just a sub-plot. I hate dystopians where the romance is too heavy. The book was rather political too which some people may not like but I thought it was nice for the novel to show the whole society and not the emotions of a 16 year old professional whinger.

I really love this book (probably the only dystopian I like) but the ending felt rather like a brick being smashed into my face. Without giving away any spoilers, it makes you want to know what's coming next but is enough for those who don't like the book. I just had too many questions at the end but I guess that is the whole point of a series.

I guess I'll just have to wait for the second book!

Kamille.

13 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of dystopian lit either, but I like the premise, it intrigues me. I might give this one a try. Thanks for the review! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review, Kamille. If I can find it in the library, I might check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's been released in the US yet. The release date is January 24 2013.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I absolutely love the premise of this book! I can't help but be drawn to anything that explores memories being wiped. (Some of my faves include the movie Dark City and the show Dollhouse.) I'm not big on dystopians, either--the only one I can ever remember liking is the Uglies series--but I don't think I'll be able to resist Slated. Thanks for putting this book on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh! I still haven't had time to read the Uglies series. I'm going to have to devote some more time to read then!

      I hope you enjoy it!

      No probs!

      Delete
    2. Whenever you get a chance to read the Uglies series, be aware that the fourth book, Extras, is more so-so, and even unnecessary, but the first three are amazing!

      Delete
    3. Oooh! I always thought it was a trilogy! Thanks!

      Delete
    4. It was always meant to be a trilogy, but I guess since those three books ended up being so popular, a fourth one got tacked on...heh.

      Delete
    5. Oooh!! That happens in a lot of series which are extended beyond what the author initially intended. Well that's what I've observed.

      Delete
    6. Yeah, I've noticed that, too, and it's usually not a good choice to extend it in the long run. Makes me wish more authors would say, "You know what? NO. It was always meant to be three books, and I'm sticking to it!" Authors should only extend a series if there are more stories to tell, not because it's popular enough to warrant more books, IMO.

      Delete
  4. Hi you. Just letting you know I've tagged you with some blog love. You may not have time to play right away, but I did want to give you a shout. (:

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a message! I'd love to hear from you :D