Monday, 4 June 2012

Is Social Networking Making Us Self-Absorbed?

Go on Facebook and you'll see all your 'friends' updating about how awful their life is.

Go on Twitter and you'll see all your 'followers' telling you where they are and what they're doing.

Go on Tumblr and you'll well actually I don't even know what happens on that site since I avoid it like the plague. It's gross and contagious. I'll probably end up using it one day though.

Go on YouTube and you'll see millions of people making vlogs where they talk about their lives to uninterested people.

And then there are the blogs where the blogger seems to only blog about their life and their life is just like your own, boring and uneventful.

Now before you get me wrong, I quite like reading about people's lives but sometimes, it gets too much. There's only so much one can take.

No I don't want to know how many times you drove past a yellow car on your way to work.

No I don't want to see your sock draw. Or your underwear draw. Close those damn things.

No I don't want to see pictures of you sleeping in your cereal bowl. Or while you're on the toilet.

No I don't want to read about how your neighbour listens to Selena Gomez every morning. Unless the singing is awful and you have an audio recording. That'd be fun to listen to.

The internet has given us all the opportunity to tell the world everything about ourselves and be heard. But we're all using it to tell people everything insignificant about ourselves.

The best person on the internet is the person who always has the best things to say.

If you work at a fast food restaurant then update your Facebook with funny things customers have said to you.

If you live in the middle of nowhere, I don't want to watch a video of you complaining about it. I would much rather you spoke about why you live there and how you deal with being lonely.

Instead of posting pictures of yourself doing the ghastly duckface, post up pictures of strangers making a fool of themselves in public. Secretly of course. Don't want to end up being sued or anything.

So talk about yourself but remember this, nobody wants to know about your life unless you've done something interesting or you're funny.

Oh and posting a hundred pictures of cupcakes on your blog doesn't make you cute or original. It's just plain annoying. And I don't get cupcakes. They're just small versions of proper cakes. I'd go with the proper cakes thanks. More for me to eat lol!

Kamille.

10 comments:

  1. I definitely agree - the world of social networking does make us quite focused on ourselves. I always have to ask myself, "What can I do for other people on my blog?" I think something that works is if you have an audience in mind - creating things for other people - while also retaining your own personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I write about what I want to write but I always read through it before I publish. If I get bored reading it, chances are everyone else will get bored too.

      I'll happily read about someone's life if they're interesting and funny. I'd talk about mine but I would much rather not have this blog be the most effective sedative on the internet lol!

      Delete
  2. I don't think it's the internet making us self-absorbed. The internet is just a tool for communicating with others. If we're self-absorbed, something else is causing it. Perhaps that person needs psychological help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must all need psychological help. I think it depends on who you're coming into contact with.

      Nearly everyone I am friends with on FB along with me update a lot about our lives.

      You're right in that it's a tool but I think some people are using it in the wrong way.

      Delete
  3. I have a hard time with twitter. I find myself wondering why people tweet about the most mundane of things like the food they just ate. Because frankly, I don't give a flute unless, you're going to provide a link to the recipe. But, I suspect some of that may be a technique to keep ones name in the feed and in the public's mind. This would be important to people who are trying to promote themselves and or their book for example. Twitter, maybe I'm not doing it right....(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Twitter since it makes it easier to talk with family but I hate my other Twitter account.

      It's all boring isn't it?

      LOL! Pictures of food don't always look good too!

      I know! I go on Twitter and there are some authors who constantly update every few hours with something along the lines of "OMG my book is Uh-MAZE-ing! Go but it heree"

      Gee, you couldn't be any more subtle!

      Twitter is a great way to connect with readers though.

      Delete
  4. I like this post so much!! This is amazing! I totally agree with you when you say that people are so self-absorbed when they go on a social networking website. (I don't get cupcakes either. Get the whole cake over here already!)

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Whole cakes are definitely the best! Just not too big.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a message! I'd love to hear from you :D