Saturday, 19 May 2012

Writers And Insomnia

Looking around, I see a lot of writers have something called insomnia.

It feels like everyone has it but me.

Yes, I don't have insomnia. In fact I go the other way.

I sleep a lot. 12 hour nights along with occasionally napping during the day, I tend to oversleep and have a deep attachment to my bed.

The only time when I'm not like this is when I'm very stressed out and then I'll stay awake and that's due to my anxiety problems. Nothing to do with sleep habits.

I love sleep. If I could marry it, I would. Well, no I wouldn't but you get the picture?

School work is often something that keeps me up till the early hours but I find that once I'm in bed, I'm off. During high school, I slept for an average of 5 and a half hours per night. In my first year of college, 4 hours. Now, I am at about 6 hours. But if I am not woken up by someone else, I'll continue sleeping until I've had at least 10 hours of sleep.

I've lost count of how many writers tell me they have insomnia and sometimes I feel like it isn't fair. If I was like that, I could write when I can't sleep.

Honestly though, I am a hypersomniac with the schedule of an insomniac. I have to stay up doing college work and go to sleep late. But I have to wake up in the mornings to drink Red Bull. And it's my mother who wakes me up. I can't sleep by myself and alarms don't work. I could put it on the other side of the room but in the morning, I'll get up, deactivate it and just go back to bed.

Also insomniacs can survive during the day on low levels of sleep. I can't. I am still incredibly sleepy for about two hours after waking and am still not alert until about 3pm. But by 8pm, my energy levels drop.

Caffeine keeps me going.

It feels like an addiction to be honest.

It makes me feel weird that I'm not an insomniac since so many writers are though. It makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong! lol!

Do you suffer from insomnia? And are you a writer?

I'd love to know.

Kamille.

6 comments:

  1. No, I'm not an insomniac. But I do have sleep apnea and use a cpap machine. Maybe you should be tested for sleep apnea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the sleep apnea.

      I'll see a Dr about that but I don't think I have it since if I'm woken between 8 and 9 hours of sleep, I'm fine during the day. I can't wake up myself though.

      Delete
  2. I'm a very good sleeper. Head hits the pillow, I'm out. Usually I'm good on seven hours of sleep. Some weekends I'm able to get more, which is always wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! A writer who doesn't have awkward sleep habits!

      Seven is a great number. Not too much and not too little!

      Delete
  3. I just wrote a long comment, but Blogspot apparently ate it. *head-desk* Commenting, round 2!

    I'm so jealous of your ability to sleep! Needless to say, I am most definitely an insomniac. It's insane how often I function on just 3-4 hours of sleep, and sometimes even none, if I'm up for a few days straight. I can't even blame caffeine, so I have no idea what keeps me so awake!

    Productivity with insomnia usually isn't an option, though, since sleeplessness doesn't always equal alertness. I can't sleep even when I'm dead-tired, barely able to think or keep my eyes open. I swear, I toss-and-turn instead of sleep most nights. It's frustrating!

    When I CAN sleep, though, I do the same exact thing you do with my alarm clock. Keeping it clear across the room never stops me from falling right back to sleep after turning it off! (My insomniatic self is that desperate for sleep, I guess! XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogspot has sone that with me too!

      I wish I could function on such little sleep. if I drink caffeine I can't sleep.

      Oh yeah. I never thought of that. I guess maybe insomnia isn't always a good thing.

      A friend of mine has insomnia and she uses that time to write her novel! She gets a lot done than me!

      LMAO! Alarm clocks are just evil. They're not even good at their job! It would help if my room was large though. It takes me less than a few seconds to get to the other side!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a message! I'd love to hear from you :D