Sunday, 27 May 2012

Summer 2012: The Write-Lympics

I made my UCAS decisions today! While I'm hoping I don't meet my offers so I can go through clearing and get onto a more 'fun' course, I'm anxious to do as well as I can. My future is at stake here! haha!

So I will be going to Law School in September. Well, that's what the plan is.

And Law School = no time for writing.

And that is going to suck a lot. So I'm hoping to finish my novel and have it edited by a certain date so I can print it off, put it in a folder, and keep it to remind me that if I can't get an agent and a book contract while in university, I'll need to work hard so I can get a proper job after.

And that is why I'm going to be taking part in something I'm calling the Write-Lympics.

Right now, I'm training which means the following:

  • Finish outlining
  • Make a list of all characters
  • Write at least 100 words a day

And when I finish my exams on 21st June, I'll be moving onto the gruesome challenge:

  • Write the first draft

And then I will be fasting during the summer from around 20th July so about 21st August so I'm hoping to have the novel completed just before that so the date I am setting for the completion of the first draft is: 18th July 2012.

I know what you're thinking. I'm crazy.

Because that gives me 27 days to complete a draft which I am expecting to reach about 60,000 words.

That gives me a daily word count of 2222.22... words per day. Keep in mind I will get a few thousand done before this.

So my daily word count will be at least 2200 words per day if I have at least 594 words completed between now and 21st June.

Between 18th July (or before if I finish earlier) and 20th July (a space of two days, I know), I'll take a break. And then I'll edit from 20th July to 25th August which is the date by which I want a completed manuscript.

On the 15th August, I hope to have a completed manuscript. If I don't then I will have to spend three years with no time to write without a full length novel to my name.

Part of me thinks this is completely nuts because that's a lot of words in a very short space of time.

I just have to hope I survive this ordeal. And I might make changes to this challenge between now and the 21st June.

So stay tuned to watch me write my way to a nervous breakdown!

Kamille

EDIT: check on the page Write-Lympics '12 to see my progress!

11 comments:

  1. OMG!
    First, congrats on going to Law School!
    Second, the challenge sounds insane but if you put aside the time to do it and stay focused, then there is no reason why you shouldn't complete your mission! Definitely keep us up to day and we'll cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I wanted to go to Medical School but sometimes life throws sour lemons at you. lol!

      I'm hoping I can reach my daily goals withint three hours of writing since I need to find a part time job. I'm plain broke.

      I definitely will! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Good luck with it all. You sound very driven. Hope the exams go well!

    I thought I was setting myself a big challenge by finishing my first draft by the time school breaks up here at the end of June (about 35000 words) - just because it's hard to write with the kids hanging about all day. That doesn't sound like much now. I'll be sure to check on that tab for your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't think I'm driven. I think it's just I kind of see this summer as the last time I get to write freely. My next few years will just be so busy I don't think I'll be able to write.

      That is a big task. In fact, any task, not matter how big is hard. All that matters is how you see it. I have until August though and you only have until June.

      Good luck reaching your writing goals!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on getting into law school. That's a huge accomplishment. Focus on getting your degree; you'll have plenty of time afterwards for writing. Maintaining your blog during that time should be satisfying in itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      That's what I will do. But I'd at least like to have a finished manuscript with me in University to remind me why I have to get good grades.

      I don't know what this blog is going to be like during that time. Hopefully I'll update at least once a fortnight.

      Delete
  4. Law school? Congratulations! Most 19-year olds I know are still directionless...
    You have a pretty good idea of what you want to do.
    And the writing goals? One word - impressive!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say I am still directionless. I don't really want to be a lawyer. I'm only taking Law because I failed to get into Medicine.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Hi,
    just found your blog,amazing!But the thing that attracted me most is that you are a J.K.Rowling fan.Do visit my blog sometimes.And congrats,i hope you become a fabulous lawyer.Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a message! I'd love to hear from you :D