Saturday, 21 April 2012

Losing Your Work

Hello everyone! I know it's been a long time since I last posted on here but life has been incredibly busy for me during the past few weeks. Fortunately, I've worked fast enough today to get some time to update.

Most people reading this will understand what it feels like to lose something you own. You feel lost. You feel stupid. And you blame yourself for losing it.

Some will also understand what it feels like to lose something you made. Something you invented yourself. Something which was entirely unique to you.

I know exactly what it feels like.

During a Graphic Design class in secondary school, my teacher sent me to the computer area outside the classroom to complete some work I had fallen behind on. Two of my friends were with me and we joked around for an hour. At the end of the lesson, I handed my work in and logged off the computer. I then left the class for my Science class. It was when I got home that I dug into my pockets to find my USB.

I was going to continue with the story I was working on. I had more than 10,000 words and felt happy to be making good progress. But when my fingers hit the empty sides of the pocket, I felt everything fall onto me.

I had lost my USB. And I had no backup files.

The next day, I reckoned it was still at the computers so I went there before all my lessons and scrambled around the computers looking for my USB. I went to the main reception and dug through a vast collection of USB's other students had lost. I still couldn't find it.

For a few weeks I was heartbroken. All that work had gone down the drain. And I felt lost. I didn't know where else to go with my writing. I also lost a lot of school work and had to start it all again which felt like someone had shot me in both hands. After a few weeks of rushing through all my school work, I had finally gotten my course stuff in order and turned my attention to starting again.

I remembered the first scene of the story I was on and just began writing from there. While I hated the fact that I had lost the story, I was determined to never let it happen again. And I still have the rewritten story on my computer even though I never finished it. It was soon after losing the story I realised it wasn't the story for me.

So while it was gut wrenching and awful to lose my writing, it gave me the chance to look back on it all and make some important decisions. Since then, I have backups of almost everything and I am able to look at my work differently. I know what didn't work with that story and losing my USB helped me see that.

But I'm still sad to have lost it. I had a lot of memories with everything on there and worse, it pains me to think someone out there might be able to find the USB and go through it. I just hope I never left any private information on there. Now that is something that could be very embarrassing!

Have you ever lost something? How did you feel? I know I felt horrid but eventually, I moved on. I realised life wasn't going to stop for me just because I lost something but I still imagine what it would be like finding my USB again. But I think I understand I will probably never see it again.

What did you learn from losing something?

I'd love to know so feel free to leave a comment!

Kamille!

8 comments:

  1. I know the feeling. Everyone's lost something important to them, never to get it back. The thing is, as you said, life goes on. You turned your loss into a gain, at least, emotionally. Sometimes you gain by losing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recently I had a hard drive crash. I was devastated because I'd made some important changes to the story I'm writing on that computer. I'd gotten complacent and hadn't been saving my work to my external hard drive as well. (Why would I? The notebook was only 3 months old.) Well, I learned my lesson, that's for sure. Fortunately, the data wasn't completely lost, and I was able to recover what I needed. I will always be saving in multiple places from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH NO! I'm sorry! They're the worst! It's also a headache.

      It's good you were able to get what you needed back.

      Good idea!

      Delete
  3. Oh no! I'm so sorry... I can just imagine your panic and heartbreak over losing it. Good for you on coming back from it... Hang in there!

    Jo
    In Which We Start Anew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It happened like 4 years ago so I've healed somewhat!

      Delete
  4. I've lost things that I still sometimes mourn losing years later--in particular, one of my art pieces was stolen from my high school, and try as I might, I have never been able to replicate that piece. But I just had to learn to move on, and not dwell too much on it. I can't stop creating just because I'm worried it will get lost, stolen, or destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! That's horrible! Who would steal someone's work?

      It's good it hasn't stopped you from art. :D

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a message! I'd love to hear from you :D