Thursday, 2 February 2012

Writing: Hobby Or Job?

from www.worst-jobs.com


What is writing for you? Do you consider it a hobby or a job?

I've read many articles online and on other people's blogs that if you want to get published then you should stop treating writing like a hobby and start treating it like a job.

I did try to treat my writing as a job but it got so boring! I was putting so much effort into it and structuring my writing time so much that I ended up getting bored and searching for cute husky pictures online (I fooking love huskies!).

My writing is at its worst when I try to treat it like a job and sit for hours and hours writing non-stop. It's because I get so bored. I'd rather be able to get up every ten minutes to walk around my room, stretch a bit and then stick my head out of my window to get some fresh air. I like to play music while thinking about my writing and love to browse the internet for inspiration but the second I begin enjoying it, I see it more as a hobby and less as a job.

After years and years of being told

job = boring
and
hobby = fun

I've struggled to treat writing as a job because I just love writing so much, treating it like a job bores me.

So does that mean I'll never get published?

No, it doesn't. The important thing when writing is to take it seriously. Treat your projects with respect. Set some goals. Breathe some life into it. Love it. And have fun.

Because taking it seriously means you get something done and writing being a hobby means that you can enjoy it too. And writing is really hard when you hate it. I should know, I've had writer's block!

So take writing seriously but don't forget to have fun while you're at it. And don't treat it like a job! Jobs are boring. Treat it more like a profession. That sounds more fun! :D

Kamille

20 comments:

  1. I agree. I have to keep writing as something fun. Something I do FOR MYSELF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone should only write for themselves! :D

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, too. I enjoy writing too much to want it to be a job just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several years ago, after gaining a lot of confidence in my writing, I decided to go after getting that writing published. I met with some success in that. But, in jumping through the hoops that I thought I had to jump through to make editors happy and want to publish my work, I lost something really important.

    The desire to write.

    It had slowly become all about getting it published, and writing what I thought other people wanted to read... Somewhere along the way, I lost the creative bug and the drive to write... for ANY reason.

    I took a long break... probably 2 or 3 years. I didn't write anything. I didn't even WANT to write anything, I'd gotten so burned out. Last year, I finally came back to it.

    Now, I don't consider writing to be my job. My husband's job puts us in a financial place that I don't have to, so that makes it easier, obviously. But for now, I write just for me. I keep a blog that I try to write for every day. If someone else gets something out of it (and I hope that they do), I'm happy... but I'm also happy just to be writing again. If something monetary comes out of it down the road, great. But if not, that's okay, too.

    Sorry to blog in your comments here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you had a burnout! I hope it's going better now!

      I'm glad you can afford to be in that position! You are definitely very lucky!

      And that's a very long break! I think the longest I've taken off it about 6 months!

      No problem! I love to hear from my blog readers!

      Delete
  4. To me treating writing like a job just means you're serious about it. You should do it for you, but you should keep working at it. If you don't ever write then you'll never have a book. In fact I read a fun article on Barns & Noble today that pretty much describes my writing, you should take a look -- http://bnreview.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Grin-Tonic/How-to-Write/ba-p/6713

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the article!

      I do take it seriously but I have fun at the same time. It's my chance to forget about life and be free for a moment.

      I agree with the keep writing bit. You'd never get anywhere if you never wrote!

      Delete
  5. I've always had trouble thinking of writing as fun. It's many things for me--fulfilling, rewarding, satisfying--but fun isn't one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! I think the actual thinking about it is fun and living with your characters but the editing and hard bits definitely aren't!

      I've always found writing fun. Well, when you're stuck in bed or in a chair all the time, it definitely is fun!

      Delete
  6. I totally agree! I love writing because it gives me a break from what I consider my job. I understand what people mean when they say to treat writing like a job...but I just don't think like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! My job may be studying but it's still boring and dull!

      Delete
  7. HOBBY! And like my dad always said, "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right." So, yes, I like the term "profession," as well. :) - Lo lojwriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that saying! Profession is something that requires skill and I like to believe that writing requires skill!

      Delete
  8. Well I think writing is more of a vocation than a job. At the moment I'm an unpublished unpaid writer so it's more of a hobby at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's true for many. Because we don't get paid for it and don't have to stick to deadlines, we have more flexibility around it for it to be a hobby rather than a job.

      Delete
  9. My wife laughs when I speak of writing as my job, but a job means turning up every day and doing it and you definitely have to do that if you are serious about it. I cannot think of it as a hobby as to me that means a bit of fun and while it often is fun, it can be agonisingly hard! It's serious business! Sometimes I think people around us don't get that. We're martyrs to the cause!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think of it as a hobby but I do care about my writing.

      People don't understand what it really is like having to write. You don't just sit down and write a novel in one sitting. It takes a lot of work and is as hard as any job!

      Delete
  10. I've always simultaneously considered writing as a hobby and a job. It's hard for me to consider it as just one, because while it's fun, it's also a lot of work at the same time. I like the idea of calling it a profession instead of a job, though. Makes it sound classier! (Heh.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Profession means it required skill and writing definitely requires skill!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a message! I'd love to hear from you :D