Monday, 13 February 2012

When Your Writing Stalls

I thought baking a cake would be fun and get me motivated. (Go to my twitter page here to see a picture of the cake or atleast two slices of it to see what it turned out like). But I was wrong. Instead, I've just got yummy cake inside of me with no motivation.

This has been one of the longest writing slumps that I've ever gone through. I tend to go through them during winter when it's dark, cold and I have to study. They only last a few days though. This has lasted about two weeks now. And it's depressing. I last wrote something about a week and a half ago and it was something that I didn't even like.

This is different from Writer's Block. WB is like trying to write and rubbish coming out. Slumps are not wanting to write but having the ideas in your head. Slumps are basically lazy times for writers. That's how I put it. 

I've tried everything to get out of this slump but nothing is working. I'm not sleep deprived and I'm not busy. In fact, I have all the time to write a novel in a week but I'm just not in the mood. No, I'm in the mood but I just can't settle on a project. There's too much taking place in my mind for me to cope at the moment.

And for some really weird reason, I really want to go for a drive through an empty country road. It sucks when you don't live in the country.

So I'm just gonna go get some college work done and then I think I might try and pull some painful words out of me. I hope it works.

Have you ever gone through a writing slump? I'd love to know.

Kamille

12 comments:

  1. Greetingz Kamille, Ur idea of going 4 a drive thru the country sounds like an excellent orientation 4 a setting....just fill it out more and consider the 5 w's.......who? , what?, where?, why ? when? and Im sure u can get the engine's rolling.....when i have writing slumps picking up a classic author and flicking thru to any page and reading usually sets me up 4 a good stint of writing.

    WJJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice!

      That's a good idea! Thank you!

      And greetings to you too!

      Delete
  2. The cake looks good--well done! The tea could be a bit stronger though... ;-)

    I'm sure the slump is at least partly because of your college work draining your energy. Don't beat yourself up about it. Do what you can when you can. Relax. Enjoy yourself. Eat cake. If you stress over the slump, it'll only get worse, I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know! I poured the milk in with the lights off. I was just too lazy to turn the lights on.

      I guess so. College is tough!

      haha! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I'd say just go with it... just like our bodies need some recovery time when we put it through physical training, our minds need the same. Even if we're writers, even if we have ideas that tickle in our heads. Sometimes, we need time to rejuvenate... and it's healthy to give yourself time to relax until the motivation comes back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying. Getting lots of sleep (8 to 9 hours) isn't helping either.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. 'Lazy' is the operative word, I suppose, although you're clearly not a lazy person. You just feel lazy because you're unmotivated at the moment. Anyone going to college and doing their best and maintaining a blog isn't lazy. It'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I feel lazy though. Most teens do though. Cheers!

      Delete
  5. I write something else. Seriously. I have four finished MS and three started MS. If I'm not feeling one story I move to the next. Eventually I go back to them when I have the movtivation, but if we're not motivated we won't do our best work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a lot of finished MS! I only have like 9 started MS. That's great as an idea. And well done on having finished so many novels!

      Delete
  6. I've been going through a writing slump this month, too. I know exactly what scenes to write, but I just can't make myself write them. It feels pointless, so I instead stare into space or play solitaire or something. Sigh. I'm trying to make myself write anyway, but it's hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah! I hope it gets better.

      Funnily, I've never learned to play solitaire

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a message! I'd love to hear from you :D