Saturday, 28 January 2012

The Writer's Bible of Ideas


I don't know about other writers but this is something I do a lot. I have a notebook with about 200 pages and I write down every idea I have ever had in it. I used to write in an old notebook until I had to throw it away (I was writing in it in the bath and dropped it. Stupid, I know) and have now started a new one so I thought I would tell you about how I store my ideas.

On the top half of the page, I write down a small paragraph of what happens or my idea so far and then on the bottom half of the page, I write down some random notes and tidbits related to my idea.

I used to have more than 40 ideas in my last notebook and would turn to it every time I needed to refresh my brain. I also used to read through it for fun. It's quite nice to sit down with a cup of tea and read through it when bored or before going to sleep. And I often find that after a while, I have more substance to my ideas. It's like visiting an old friend and finding that you have more in common than you had previously thought.

If you're going through a rough patch in your writing, you can always turn to your little treasure trove of ideas and this will ensure you will never run out of ideas. It's also more fun than keeping a diary which is usually just a recollection of your life and not everyone has a life full of events. Those of us who have pretty bland lives won't really have much to talk about.

So buy a notebook and get a pen for the notebook and start with an idea or two to get you started. The best thing to do with these notebooks is to set yourself targets such as write down an idea every day or every week. Within a few months, you'll have a collection of ideas and will never forget them.

And a lesson that I've learnt: keep your notebooks safe and don't use them in the bath!

Kamille

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! So many ideas 'down the drain' :(

    That's a good idea to keep a notebook. I have some ideas on my laptop, most are in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! I know! I had a heart attack when I dropped it. I deserved it for writing while taking a bath!

      I used to keep them on my USB. Until I lost the USB! ha!

      Delete
  3. This is so very organized! I now really want to get a notebook of my own dedicated just to my book ideas. At the moment, my ideas are all so very scattered, scribbled inside countless notebooks and on random pieces of paper, typed up on word docs, etc. It'd be nice to have a single place to turn to in order to re-familiarize myself with my ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a family album but just for me! haha!

      not really! I have bits of paper sticking out and post it notes everywhere. Looks like it went through a tornado!

      Delete
  4. I used to use a moleskine/excel sheet/ word doc folder/ filing cabinet for my writing and none worked for me! Then I got a filofax and haven't looked back :). I took out the diary section and used a-z section for character bios. I have section for my ideas - and can always build on them and just slot in new info in right section like a folder, and its small enough to carry (and come in some nice colours too). Non-leather versions are an ok price too.

    I definitely should be working for the filofax marketing department lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a filofax! I don't use it though because I like it being clean and empty! That's a good idea about the character bios! I think I'll try it out!

      You should! Maybe you could advertise for filofaxes!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a message! I'd love to hear from you :D