Sunday, 8 January 2012

Love Writing, Hate Reading


If there is one lie that I have mastered to perfection over the past few years, it is that I love reading. I don't. I hate reading.

And this is where everyone reading will fall of their chairs and go "But you're a writer!"

Yes and I still hate reading.

I love books but the actual process of reading is boring and slow. I have enjoyed reading some books such as The Graveyard Book and the first three HP books and the first Twilight book (hate the series but I still read the book if I'm having a bath or something. Something about the dullness makes me sleepy).

I don't have the patience. In fact, I'm so impatient I struggle to wait in queues longer than 1 minute. If I'm reading and the pace slows down, I skip to the next page.

But I also have an overactive imagination. When I'm reading someone else's book, I get bored and feel restricted and often have to stop to let myself run wild for a while. I feel much more comfortable with my writing as I tend to be in my own world.

But sometimes, I come across a book which I fall in love with. It's imaginative. It's funny. And most of all, it's a great story.

Unfortunately, it's hard to come across books with great stories.

So, is there anyone else who doesn't like reading all that much? What do you love more: reading or writing?

I love writing far more. I really only read as much as I can to help me learn to write better.

I will be honest and say that I love books! I especially love smelling them!

Kamille

7 comments:

  1. I'm more in love with the idea of books than I am with actually reading them. Despite the fact that I've been writing my whole life and love the English language, I have a hard time finding books that blow me away.

    I think this is mostly because I'm bored by stuff that isn't fantastic in some way (I don't really like reading about our world if there's no magic/sci-fi in it) but adult speculative fiction tends toward unnecessary description and lengthy explanations, so I'm stuck between those two.

    So I can totally relate to this. Love books, love the way they smell, but... I only read maybe six or so a year. Writing, on the other hand--can't get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding your "About me", I like your ambition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Rachel. Same here. I can't seem to find many books I can 'connect' with.

    It's very easy to get bored. I can see your dilemma. That can be a problem. A lot of adult books are like that.

    I know. I smell all books I ever touch. It's weird but a habit.

    @ Peaches. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up LOVING to read, but over the past few years, I can find myself easily relating to your mindset. It takes a lot of time to read, and time is a rare thing to have anymore. Makes me impatient with books. I'd much rather be spending the time I do have with my own characters instead of someone else's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like that too. It's more exciting to read when you're younger. You tend to be more curious and adventurous. You become lazy when you get older.

      I can totally relate to wanting to spend more time with your characters than someone else's.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't like reading at first. I utilized a technique after a while; just read, but not literary. Yea, like, it's never about the words, it's all about "where they take you."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a message! I'd love to hear from you :D