Saturday, 21 January 2012

Book Love: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman





After two posts of declaring books that I don't like, I thought I needed one that was about a book I love to find a balance between positivity and negativity. I chose The Graveyard Book since it was the most recent book I read and fell in love with.

I actually remember when I bought this book. My train was delayed by about 30 minutes so I decided to take a walk through WH Smith (who sell stuff like stationary, books, magazines, food, drinks) and decided to pick a book. I was about to pick up a shitty YA paranormal romance until I saw the title and remembered Mr Gaiman mentioning it during a speech thing at this book festival in America. I loved the extract he had read out and so decided to buy it.

I started reading it on the train at around 1:45 and finished it just after 7:00 (I had taken an hour and a half out to do other stuff). I cried. And then I re-read it.

I loved seeing Bod grow from being a young child to a boy and felt like I knew him by the time I'd finished the book. I felt like the ghosts had also been my family. This was one of those books that stayed with me for a long time after I'd finished.

This book is about family, love, adventure, growing up and venturing into the big, wide world. And I could relate to all of that. It was short enough to enjoy as long books can sometimes be a bit of a trek. The book in my opinion could have been longer but I think it was great that Gaiman left it to the reader to think about Bod's life after he leaves the Graveyard.

I also loved the illustrations which brought some life to the story and helped me visualise what was happening. I think YA books should have illustrations. No, all books should have illustrations. All text can sometimes be dull. And I like knowing how others visualise the scenes. This is a book I will definitely be reading to my children and it even inspired a story of my own.

Plus, the cover looks awesome!

So there's my Book Love post. I think I'll do more of these. They're quite enjoyable. I'm gonna go ahead with my BIHTEL post on I Am Number 4 though since that book deserves it. I wasted my money on a book that bored me to death.

Kamille

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review Kamille! I'm going to have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you liked the review.

      Delete
  2. Great review! I really need to check out this book sometime. Not only does everybody seem to praise The Graveyard Book, but I've enjoyed another book by this author before (Neverwhere), so it's downright silly of me to not have read something else of his already!

    Also, I really love the cover you posted--so much cooler than the American one!

    I think it'd be really cool if more books included illustrations, too. They always seem to help flesh a book out! Stephen Emond is a YA author you should check out, since he illustrates the books he writes. I adored Happyface and am in the middle of his latest book, Winter Town, which is proving to be just as good! Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan series is illustrated, too, I think, but I still need to read that one....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the American one here too I think but this one was created so it was more marketable for children.

      I'll have to find one of his books thanks! I've been trying to find illustrated YA books for a long time!

      I've not read Leviathan but a lot of people I've met love this book!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this, but I have 2 Neil Gaiman books on CD to listen to. I've heard from so many places how amazing his work is. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! It's a great book for everyone who wants to write children's books in my opinion and I recall that you write children's fiction right?

      Delete
  4. I still haven't read this book - it is definitely on the list as I also fell in love with the cover. Your review gave me a great feel for the book - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problems. I'm glad you liked the review.

      The cover is quite alluring!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a message! I'd love to hear from you :D