Monday, 31 October 2011

NaNo WriMo!

Good luck to everyone doing NaNo this year. I'm not doing it but since I wrote a 34,000 word script in just over a week last year, I want to give some advice out.

  • Remember to take a break as often as you can. I used to write for 30 minutes and then take a 15 minute break. This gave me time to settle and relax and I soon found myself with 10,000 words in one day. It was one hell of a day!
  • Keep water close by. It refreshes you and will stop you getting hungry. In case you do get hungry, keep some finger food close by. 
  • If you're using the computer, turn the light intensity down (it will give you a headache) and every 10-15 minutes, look away at something in the distance. Computer screens are not good for your eyesight. 
  • Give yourself a prize every time you reach a mini-goal. I would set myself a goal every 5000 words and got a little bit of chocolate. Mini-goals will keep you motivated to keep on going.
  • Make sure you have a plan. Seriously, it will help if you have an idea of where you're going to go. 
  • Get some sun on your skin when the sun is out. Along with shorter days and sitting inside all the time, you could get depressed and trust me when I say depression is not fun. 
  • Get exercise. NaNo isn't an excuse to be a slob. Go on a walk and write on your mobile as you walk. 
  • Let everyone in your family know you are working on something very important and will appreciate them not disturbing you. 
  • Last of all, have fun! Keep a smile on your face and be happy. Enjoy NaNo! It's only around for one month every year.
Kamille

6 comments:

  1. I'm not doing NaNo this year, either. I don't want to abandon the book I'm currently working on, and I'll be getting my wisdom teeth out in November, anyway, so I probably won't be writing for at least a week!

    And wow, 34K words in a week?! That's amazing! Thanks for sharing these tips. I can especially relate to the first one. It's tempting to just focus solely on the book, but I've discovered over the years that taking little breaks in between helps me from getting blocked as often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I hope you're okay after your teeth are pulled out. I hate dentists. So much!

    It was the summer holidays so I had a lot of spare time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I toyed with the idea a couple of times, but I've never been able to write more than about 600 words in one go - about the maximum size of a blog post...

    Which is probably why I've managed to keep my blog going for 6 years, but never written a novel :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Kamille: Yeah, I hope so, too. The possible complications leave me feeling wiggy. And the fact that I have to worry about my diabetes during the surgery on top of that...not fun. At least it'll soon be over with, I guess....

    Aw, summer holidays. Definitely a good time to get a lot of writing done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great list. Everybody should heed it. NaNo can be a great way for a writer to finally get that book out on paper without the inner perfectionist demons holding you back. It also helps prepare you for the marathon that is being a published writer.

    Kamille--you're one of the winners of my novel of a Writers Conference gone wrong: Ghostwriters in the Sky. Stop by the blog and send me an email and I'll get it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Kim. There's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes, I find blogging more fun than writing novels.

    @ Heather H. Argh! That makes it worse. My mum has diabetes and after she got her teeth pulled out, they gave her antibiotics. I hope it goes okay! And the weather is good in summer so you can write outside!

    @ Anne R Allen. Thanks! Exactly! It's a nightmare but good for those who want an idea of what it's like to write with deadlines.

    Aww thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a message! I'd love to hear from you :D