- Remember to take a break as often as you can. I used to write for 30 minutes and then take a 15 minute break. This gave me time to settle and relax and I soon found myself with 10,000 words in one day. It was one hell of a day!
- Keep water close by. It refreshes you and will stop you getting hungry. In case you do get hungry, keep some finger food close by.
- If you're using the computer, turn the light intensity down (it will give you a headache) and every 10-15 minutes, look away at something in the distance. Computer screens are not good for your eyesight.
- Give yourself a prize every time you reach a mini-goal. I would set myself a goal every 5000 words and got a little bit of chocolate. Mini-goals will keep you motivated to keep on going.
- Make sure you have a plan. Seriously, it will help if you have an idea of where you're going to go.
- Get some sun on your skin when the sun is out. Along with shorter days and sitting inside all the time, you could get depressed and trust me when I say depression is not fun.
- Get exercise. NaNo isn't an excuse to be a slob. Go on a walk and write on your mobile as you walk.
- Let everyone in your family know you are working on something very important and will appreciate them not disturbing you.
- Last of all, have fun! Keep a smile on your face and be happy. Enjoy NaNo! It's only around for one month every year.
Monday, 31 October 2011
Good luck to everyone doing NaNo this year. I'm not doing it but since I wrote a 34,000 word script in just over a week last year, I want to give some advice out.