Friday, 22 July 2011

Why I'm Not In Love With Young Adult Books Right Now

I walk into a bookshop and go straight to the teens section. Until very recently, we didn't have teen sections in bookshops. They were mixed into the children's section.

Most of the books I see in the teens section are based around paranormal romance. Most of them aren't any good. I've picked many up and it seems like they were all written by the same person. Some of them have been okay and others have been so bad, I've not even finished reading them.

It doesn't look like this trend is going to stop because now Dystopians are making their mark. Except, these dystopians are soppy YA romances which go along the lines of "I've only known you for a short time but I must fight this horrible regime so I can be with you forever".

Seriously? Dystopian Lit is very respectable (I still don't like Brave New World. That was icky) but YA Dystopian is too busy focusing on love at first sight romances rather than the prospects of facing a future regime like those we see ins books, or teaching us to beware of the world we live in. After I read Brave New World, I learnt to observe the world around me to find that we are living in our own type of dystopia.

So far, I have not found a YA Dystopia being released/or recently released, that serves as a warning and instead tells us we need to fight for someone we love. It just seems to superficial. This isn't what Dystopia is about people!

Anyway, here are some books that have come out that are classified as YA that I am actually interested in reading.



Happy Ghostings! 
Ghostie Girl

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever checked out Scott Westerfeld's dystopian YA series UGLIES? While a romantic subplot does pop up, it is not the main focus of the books. It's more about struggling against conformity in a world obsessed with being pretty. (Everyone must undergo a "pretty operation" once they reach a certain age. Before then, they are considered ugly and a lower class of people.)

    But yeah, I agree, it's off-putting how almost every YA book seems to be a hardcore romance. I have nothing against romance, but not every darn book needs to be one, especially since a lot of authors can't pull it off or do anything new with the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of it but I'm waiting for a better time to pick up a book. I have way too much going on right now.

    I don't know if it's to do with authors not being able to pull it off. I think it's more to do with authors thinking a hell of a lot of romance will get them on the sides of the underloved teenage girls out there who will swallow anything.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a message! I'd love to hear from you :D